Saturday, March 2, 2013

Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss!

No big revelations here (mostly because I'm just barely recovering from a horrible 4-day stomach flu ordeal and don't quite have all of my neurons firing again yet.) But I just had to share something adorable.


Yes, that's my little "Thing 1" and "Thing 2" at our local library's celebration of Dr. Seuss's birthday today. The library really did a great job of it this year, with several activity stations, games, crafts, treats, story times, and of course a brilliant photo op.

The kids loved it. We hadn't been there very long when my daughter asked "Can we come back to this again next year?" You betcha! If you know me at all then you know how much I love a holiday that centers around books, so of course seeing my kids happily celebrating that love of reading completely made my day.

Unfortunately (because of the aforementioned stomach flu) I didn't have a chance to plan anything ahead of time for our own personal celebration, so aside from reading some of our favorite Dr. Seuss books as our bedtime story tonight, the library's birthday party was the extent of it for us today. But next year I will definitely be more prepared to make a complete day of it.

And if you missed the celebration today, make a plan now to participate next year! For more information about this annual event, please visit the National Education Association's Read Across America web site here.


Do you have a favorite Dr. Seuss quote? How about a favorite book? Did you do anything special to celebrate his birthday? Please share!

1 comment:

  1. We had parent volunteers read their favorite Dr. Seuss books to our classes. Some years I've made green eggs & ham for my students, but rules about food have become so restrictive that I focus my energy on other parts of the celebration instead.
    Glad you & the kids had fun!

    ReplyDelete